Saturday 27 August 2016

Parched land without God



I stretch out my hands to you; my soul thirsts for you like a parched land*

My God, in one way or another this text is really touching me.
I have no inferiority complex and I feel good.
Yet this text seems to touch the core of the relationship between man and God.
Would You like to comment on this?

My son, how else could it be?
Man is a creature of God, created in love and wisdom and full of promise and future, even though his physical body is subject to the earthbound evolution with the prospect of death.
But not his the spiritual body, referring in this psalm to the soul.
The spiritual body of man is without God parched land, lifeless and tied to the death, but with the living water of God poured on his ground the miracle happens.
Then begins the miracle of the spiritual life, the beauty of eternity, the promise of God to man, the great unrivaled future of the former ape who enters an eternal relationship with God,  closing a spiritual marriage and leaving behind time, space, death and restriction.
Blessed is man who begins to realize that he is parched land without God, and that God will bring forth the finest fruits and flowers.
The psalmists knew this already, blessed are they.
Mankind is yet realizing this.

My blessings to you all
 
*Part of Psalm 143, sung by munks in a service in Maria Toevlucht, monastery in Zundert, the Netherlands

Nr. 347