Sunday 30 March 2014

One dialogue with you, my God ( Etty Hillesum )





Etty Hillesum was born 100 years ago. As jewess she 's been murdered in Auschwitz in 1943. Her books describe her way to God, despite the war and the misery of the concentration camps.
She writes in a letter from Westerbork (concentration camp), just before being deported to Auschwitz:
" You have made me so rich, my God, let me be able to share this with a lavish hand. My life has become one continuous dialogue with you, my God, one great dialogue " * .

And from her last letter:
"I open the Bible on any place and find this: The Lord is my high refuge". **

How can she life in heaven in this way, while she is dwelling in hell?
Would you like to comment on this?

I would like to.
Etty has finally let God on the throne of her inner self, under the pressure of circumstances, a good teacher, out of piety and with her free will. And she choose to dwell in God’s bosom forever, despite everything.


She is the living proof man can realize the Kingdom of God on earth.
She is dwelling in the milky-white bosom of God, she has gone all the way. She has learned to say yes to life, has stopped judging, even though she observed everything all around her: the suffering of the Jews, the hatred of the guards, the confusion and anxiety of mothers concerning their children, the despair, the lice, the hunger.
But above all she saw and felt God's presence. She lived in God's presence. She refused to be seduced to step on the rotating wheel of life, but stayed in the silence of the axle.

Etty Hillesum may be blessed, her example may be blessed, her writings may be blessed, blessed are her readers.

My blessings to you all

* Westerbork , August 18th, 1943
** Westerbork , September 7th, 1943
From : The posthumous writings of Etty Hillesum