Sunday 23 June 2019

A Hindu temple in The Hague (1)



 I am visiting a Hindu temple in The Hague. A family member of mine knows colleagues who come over there. The temple is maintained by the Shiram Mandir foundation, which "meets the needs of the Hindu community throughout the Netherlands by holding church services on a weekly basis."
 
 


See also http://shrirammandir.nl

The temple is located in the Schilderswijk, a neighborhood of The Hague, and I think it is housed in a former school and has been enlarged inside, so that I was pleasantly surprised to see a huge space with many Hindu gods, texts, decorations, golden domes, altars. In short it was as a whole full of inspiration and atmosphere and special energy. We took off our shoes on our arrival, and we really stood out as original Dutch people tall and white and blond and so but we were warmly welcomed by people from the Hindustani community. I quickly felt at home even though I really didn't know much about all the symbols and images. And the Mandir, the leader, said a lot, but that was in Hindi, so we didn't understand anything. Where do I look at, how does it come across to me, what do I find impressive or strange? Well that's what I'm going to describe.
·        I feel how I am immersed in an age-old tradition of devotion and fine energy. Somewhere is sung, we have the Dutch translation on paper "Come to me, My child" appears Brahman telling us. Well, of course, that feels very welcome. I think Brahman is the same as Allah, God or Yahweh of course. There is a lot of beautiful singing and partly because of this I feel how I am becoming more open to the beautiful old Hindu values ​​of faith. I feel awe, respect for the divine world, sincere faith and surrender. I also feel the support from the spiritual world as if we are immersed in grace and love so that we can stand it again in the outside world.
·        Throughout the service rituals, prayers and bows are performed, and flowers and food offered on all kinds of altars, and I don't know the names of all those gods, but I do see Krishna, Ganesh, Shiva, Vishnu and Durga somewhere. As far as I am concerned, they are all aspects of Brahman having here their own power and strength and status. But they are really Hindu gods without any doubt. In addition to the mandir, an older couple performs rituals throughout the meeting. It feels very devotional, warm and respectful. I think that's the older notables of the community, maybe the elderly ex-mandir and his wife. Later on I hear that this role is always performed by an different  older couple, and that old man is the cleaner at the school where my family member is working,  and his wife. I think that is really very special. Although the mandir is a man, I see all kinds of women performing rituals, in any case I have the impression that the feminine aspect is well given room in this temple, such as Durga, one important goddess.
·        Almost at the end of the service all of us get a dot painted with dye on our foreheads (I understood it is a bindi painted at the place of the chakra of the forehead). I am very moved, as a Catholic I experience it as a kind of communion, something sacred and that we as an outsider also get such a dot on the forehead feels very welcome and open, so of the sort of “we are all children of Brahman "

 I still feel uplifted and blessed all week long, I clearly got something of energy to withhold against the angry outside world.
My God, would You like to comment on my story?

My son, I will do so in the next blog.

My blessings to you all

No 456